Cardboard ideas!

I feel that the piece I started today will end up being a building block for my summative as I really like it. After cutting out and glueing the folded/wavy pieces, I got an idea from looking at several other pieces to thread the rope rather than glue it. Using a shoelace threading style, I finished one side and began on the other, and I really liked how it not only looked good but also tightened the piece together. Through Mr. Stav I got some ideas on how to add more negative space, so my next step will probably be cutting out shapes from the long cardboard piece to make it more interesting. Also, I could make more of these, just slightly different, and put them together somehow. By doing this I could take my simple formative and make a much more complex summative piece.

Advertisements

Glazing Done and New Unit!

unnamed-20My summative took much longer to paint than any of my other containers because of all the attached circles. Since the circles were a different color, I had to use a small paintbrush and try to keep the edges as clean as possible. While I originally wanted to do a blueish color, after seeing several other I decided to do a light green + a turquoise.

Our new unit, cardboard revolves around the idea of using cardboard pieces to make boxes and shapes with negative space. I personally find this the hardest media I’ve worked with in art because I’ve never done it before. In the world of 3D art, I’m used to either using clay like materials, or carving sculptures. Cutting, folding and glueing is something I’ve never experimented with properly. So far I’ve created boxes using notches and tabs, and have begun making small shapes and glueing them together as an experiment.

Fired and Glazing!

After a weekend of firing and a few more days of cooling down, my summative finally came out of the kiln! I thoroughly examined it for faults, and I found that the slip around some of the circles weren’t wiped off completely, giving a slightly messy appearance. Also the bottom of the container was squished in slightly so its not a perfect circle as I wanted it to be. I really like how the carved out circles ended up and the smoothing of the bottom/top rim gives it a really neat finish.

My previous formative pieces came out of the kiln as well, but they were glazed. I used colors that I would most likely use on my summative just so I could see how it would look, and it proved to be somewhat successful. The drip technique I used on the cylinder was by far my favorite thing I experimented. Though I probably won’t be able to do it on my summative due to the carved circles, I still really like how they add a cool pattern. An unsuccessful experiment was that on my cube I attempted to mix colors, but it ended up to look like a dark murky blue shade.

Using what I learned from my formatives, I’m using a light, sea foam green for the background of my piece and the circles a darker turquoise, because the container reminds me of the sea and bubbles. So far the biggest problem I’ve encountered is that it is really hard to paint in between the circles without getting too much on the actual circles.

Additive + Final Touches

Before smoothing:

After smoothing:

After creating the holes, I felt the sculpture needed more than just subtractive, so I began scoring and slipping the same circles I carved out to give some contrast. Around halfway of my circle adding process, I got the idea of making my circles even more interesting. By taking my cut out circles and carving out a smaller circle within them, I was able to use the negative space to my advantage. The biggest problem I encountered was the scoring the smaller, thinner pieces and also keeping my piece neat. Adding so much slip and carving out areas caused a lot of places to look messy, and I had to be extra careful when cleaning it out because I didn’t want to ruin the circles I stuck on.

Summative Container – Halfway There

Continuing from last time, I managed to finish creating all the holes in the ‘drip’ formation. Since I took out the main forming tube, it was hard to carve out the holes without damaging the container. My solution for this was to use a smaller tube as a backbone to carve the holes without the container moving. I really like how it looks somewhat minimalistic and much more modern than any of my other pieces.

Bowl Mold + Summative Container

The very first thing I did this class was take out my bowl shape from the bowl. Though I did it extremely carefully, I was correct in my prediction in which my clay was too thin and it cracked. By the time I took it out completely, there were too many cracks and the bowl was too weak, so I put it in the recycling and started a new container.

I believe this cylinder I’ve started will be my summative, if everything works out well. After doing this several times, I was able to make the slab very quickly, and after only a short while I began smoothing. Before the class ended, I started to make some markings for my design and even start carving out some circles. Because this isn’t a formative, I don’t need to do all three textures and am only required to do some sort of texture. My plan for this cylinder is to carve out circles on the top in a dripping fashion, and then use the same circles I took out and attach them to the bottom of the container. Something I could have fixed was instead of beginning the designs, I could have created the base first, which would allow it to be more stable.