Almost Done! (Cardboard Summative)

After putting together the main pieces of my cardboard artwork, I began working on the rope element of it. I started off with poking holes along the sides and threading rope in a somewhat zigzag pattern, which both added more negative space and tightened the structure. From there, I found that doing another zigzag pattern would be a bit redundant, so I proceeded to use two strings and do a shoelace pattern in the open area of the cardboard.

I started off my next class duplicating the base and connecting it to the top of the piece, as I found it made it look more interesting. To fill up the empty space I then used more string in a zig zag formation on the base. My next step in this piece will most likely be adding a ‘pyramid’ of string so it can be hung.

Advertisements

SUMMATIVE textured container!

After glazing my summative has finally arrived from the kiln!

Overall, I’m extremely proud of these piece. While there are some places I could have smoothed more or touched up, it’s definitely the neatest and most aesthetically pleasing ceramic piece I have done. I really like how the background color and the inside color compliments each other and are completely opaque. Also, I’m surprised that the circles came out as neat as they did. While I wish I gave it a few more coats as its slightly translucent, they almost don’t bleed in with the background at all.

Cardboard improvements

The last two classes I took my idea from my formative and changed it into something which could end up being my summative. In the first class, I tried out cutting holes in the original formative I created to see how it looked. Because I liked the negative space look it gave, I created two whole new long cardboard folded pieces with the parts cut out and edges rounded. Since I learned from my previous piece how flimsy it can be, I used small cardboard pieces to give it stability. I ended with cutting small pieces of corrugation which I plan to create some sort of base with.

The following class I built upon my idea of making a base with corrugation and created about six corrugation tubes. Using these, I stuck two circle bases together, which made my piece look more complex. After this, I began poking holes in the long pieces and getting string ready to thread through. Next class, when I finish threading, I think I may add some sort of string to the corrugation area to add more rope use.