After a few more practice BC faces and hands, we began to draw proper objects. Because a lot of these were pretty detailed it was really difficult to get it all down on paper, though the end result wasn’t the bad for some of them.
Though I have done blind contours in the past, due to the fact these were the most detailed and hard BC drawings I have ever done, I learned a lot more about it. While before I never really understood how I benefited from these exercises, when drawing the still life objects I found myself really getting focused and understanding the shapes properly. When there are so many lines and shapes, the BC exercise makes ones hand eye coordination much better and helps the artist zero in on each exact line they draw.
The actual creation of the pieces was pretty straightforward, for most of them we had to keep our eyes off our paper and trace the object with our eyes, at the same time we also draw the figure ‘blindly’. For the modified versions, we were allowed to look at our paper from time to time, but the basic idea was that we had to input every last detail our eyes could see. In the long run this did actually help because after this we began our still life drawings and because of these practices, I was able to draw a lot more detail than I usually do.
1st and 2nd attempt (Hand gestures)
3rd attempt (Face contour)
After painting the ‘coffee’, I ended up using wool to create some hair for my figure. Originally, I was going to create a face, but after trying a few times I found that it looked better without one.
Overall, I feel out of this entire semester, I am most proud of this piece. By using wire, sculpta-mold, and fabric, I used three materials I was unfamilar with me, but I still created something I am proud of.
After finishing using the sculpta-mold, and smoothing my piece as much as I could, I began working on the clothing. Originally I planned to make casual clothes but I found an old green curtain in the fabric box, and the buttons on it reminded me so much of a suit that I couldn’t help but use it. Whilst making measurements, I used tape to help me understand what sizing I’ll have to cut the fabric and organize the clothes onto the figure.
After a few classes and several flex blocks, I finally managed to finish the clothing for my human figure. Continuing with the green suit idea, I ended up giving my figure light green pants and then black shoes to accompany it. After one of my friends found a small toy cup, to help show the fact that my character is falling over, I used hot glue to make it look like coffee falling out a cup.
While the clothes didn’t look as clean as I wanted it to look, I used some green paint to fill in some empty spaces and considering I am not really talented at anything with fabric, I’m quite proud of how this turned out.
After getting a stand and using a stick to help hold my figure up, I began taping up the figure. My original idea was to wrap the whole thing in string but because it didn’t really glue properly I ended up using a Papier-mâché like substance called sculpta-mold.
Since the glue-paper mix dried fairly quickly, I learnt that after placing the wet substance, I had to smooth it with clean hands as soon as possible. At first I felt that it made my sculpture look too chunky, but then I found that if I smoothed well enough, it no longer looked like that. My hope for my next classes is that after I finish covering up the tape, I will be able to add some sort of clothes and paint on a face as well.
After drying, carving, baking in the kiln and painting with acrylic, my magnet is finally complete.
And heres my magnet on my fridge!