Mixed Media SUMMATIVE

Overall for this project, while I feel like I could have done a better job for the product, I really like how much I learned about new medias through the making of it. While I had an original plan, through mistakes, ideas and lack of materials my outcome was pretty different than what I had in mind.

The medias I used were:

  • Wood
  • Newspaper
  • Acrylic
  • Gouache
  • Watercolor
  • Wire
  • Screws

unnamed

The girl was done by using a mixture of pastel colors for the skin, and yellows and oranges for the hair. In order for some contrast, I used dark blues, greens and purple and speckled it with white to give a galaxy look. I used newspaper for the background because I felt it matched the wood look of the shirt.

unnamed-4

After creating the main subject of the girl, I realized it was slightly smaller than I hoped, meaning there was a lot of empty space. I originally was going to use up this space to do some interesting wire artwork and have a wire thought bubble coming from her head, but the day I was going to begin this, the hot glue ran out. With minimal time left to finish the art piece, I instead found some screws and began hammering them into the wood and wrapping the wire around it. This timely process only allowed me to do an outline of the girl, which can be seen better in real life than in pictures. Lastly, to cover some of the above empty space, I used some plastic wire I found and pulled it across the wood. Since it wasn’t stuck down, it made some interesting shadows on the piece.

unnamed-3unnamed-2

Printmaking

During our printmaking class I tried various designs and one of the prints that was the most successful was an imprint of some flowers. At first I used ink to stamp my carving but later I tried to use acrylic paint to show various colors on the image.

IMG_7983.JPGIMG_7982.JPG

Final Project 3

Lastly, this piece took by far the longest to make. I started out with a photograph I took and began using the line tool and grid to make small triangles on different parts of his face. The idea was to make sure the triangles showed the shadows and differing colors on his face.Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.56.47 AM.png I then used the inspector and fill color to pick the ‘background’ color and fill in the triangles. This slow process may have been annoying, but the end result looks both complex and interesting.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 10.06.03 AM.png

(When it’s zoomed in, you can see how the triangles give off a geometric look but also retain the same color and shadows from the original image)

Final Project 2

This piece took a long process of trial and error, but eventually I got to my desired result. I began with using a picture in which the horizon is clearly visible and turned them horizontal. By using the blur, smudge and stamp tool, I was able to make a strange inception-esque image.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 9.58.17 AM.png

Final Project 1

For my final project I decided to do various digital art pieces using photoshop.

My first piece; a gif drawing of one of my friends, is a style which I’ve done several times now. The process I go through for each of these is that I first draw the picture digitally using the iPads or my phone. I then transfer the drawing to photoshop and color everything but the areas I want the gif to show. Lastly, I convert gifs into video files and add them into photoshop.

zopgif.gif