Mixed Media SUMMATIVE

Overall for this project, while I feel like I could have done a better job for the product, I really like how much I learned about new medias through the making of it. While I had an original plan, through mistakes, ideas and lack of materials my outcome was pretty different than what I had in mind.

The medias I used were:

  • Wood
  • Newspaper
  • Acrylic
  • Gouache
  • Watercolor
  • Wire
  • Screws

unnamed

The girl was done by using a mixture of pastel colors for the skin, and yellows and oranges for the hair. In order for some contrast, I used dark blues, greens and purple and speckled it with white to give a galaxy look. I used newspaper for the background because I felt it matched the wood look of the shirt.

unnamed-4

After creating the main subject of the girl, I realized it was slightly smaller than I hoped, meaning there was a lot of empty space. I originally was going to use up this space to do some interesting wire artwork and have a wire thought bubble coming from her head, but the day I was going to begin this, the hot glue ran out. With minimal time left to finish the art piece, I instead found some screws and began hammering them into the wood and wrapping the wire around it. This timely process only allowed me to do an outline of the girl, which can be seen better in real life than in pictures. Lastly, to cover some of the above empty space, I used some plastic wire I found and pulled it across the wood. Since it wasn’t stuck down, it made some interesting shadows on the piece.

unnamed-3unnamed-2

Printmaking

During our printmaking class I tried various designs and one of the prints that was the most successful was an imprint of some flowers. At first I used ink to stamp my carving but later I tried to use acrylic paint to show various colors on the image.

IMG_7983.JPGIMG_7982.JPG

SUMMATIVE Wet Media

Original Image:

IMG_7951.jpg

Wet Media Piece:

IMG_7954.jpg

For this summative I decided to use watercolor paint because I know how to use it better and am more comfortable. My plan for this piece was to make a slightly detailed top half in watercolor and finish it up with ink after it dried. For the bottom, though in the image it looks exactly the same in the water, I felt that if I made water blotches it would look more like a watery reflection. I really like how the top ended up because the paint doesn’t look messy and the ink isn’t really bleeding out anywhere. For the bottom part, I like how the lack of ink and bleeding out color makes it look like a blurry reflection. If I had to change one thing, it would be the drawing because I feel like I could have put more effort in making it look clean and realistic.

Dry Media SUMMATIVE

IMG_7786.jpg

Though we only needed three medias, I chose to use five: Ink, chalk, color pencil, graphite and oil pastel.

My composition was meant to show several different distances and interesting shapes. For example, I made the polaroid in the very front and foreshortened, whereas the sunglasses was kept all the way in the back. The slanted paintbrush also allowed a lot of shadow and value to show.

I feel like the oil pastel bottle and ink paintbrush ended up the best. The white and blue pastel really showed the highlights and shadows in a glass bottle, as well as the ink allowed the paintbrush to stand out and look realistic. The colored pencil box and ink polaroid, I think, could have been done better. Though I tired to add as much value as I could to both of them, it didn’t turn out as I hoped it would.

Media Study / Value Scales

Charcoal:

img_7192Graphite:img_7195Colored Pencil:img_7194Oil Pastel:img_7193Ink:

Chalk:

IMG_7406

Throughout this exercise we learned how media is the material used to make art and value is how light/dark something is. Using this knowledge, we made 6 different value scales/drawings with different medias, in order for us to learn how to work with them. They all differed in ways to create value, for example, with graphite or color pencil one can simply lightly use it to make highlights. In contrast, for oil pastel, chalk and charcoal, we had to add white to colors in order to make it lighter and black/darker colors for shadows. Ink was the most unique as it to create value, lines simply had to be closer together or father apart.

Drawing with ‘Light’

IMG_7172.JPG

This ‘Drawing with Light’ piece was definitely more difficult and confusing that most of the artwork I have done in the past. The aim of the piece was to use white charcoal to show areas of highlights and use black/brown minimally for shadows. This was quite hard because with so many light sources in the room, you couldn’t really pinpoint one area of light. Also for items with not much value, like the plain white funnel, it took a long time to show the few shadows and highlights that appeared on it.