FINISHED Human Figure

After painting the ‘coffee’, I ended up using wool to create some hair for my figure. Originally, I was going to create a face, but after trying a few times I found that it looked better without one.

Overall, I feel out of this entire semester, I am most proud of this piece. By using wire, sculpta-mold, and fabric, I used three materials I was unfamilar with me, but I still created something I am proud of.

Human Figure – Almost done

After finishing using the sculpta-mold, and smoothing my piece as much as I could, I began working on the clothing. Originally I planned to make casual clothes but I found an old green curtain in the fabric box, and the buttons on it reminded me so much of a suit that I couldn’t help but use it. Whilst making measurements, I used tape to help me understand what sizing I’ll have to cut the fabric and organize the clothes onto the figure.

After a few classes and several flex blocks, I finally managed to finish the clothing for my human figure. Continuing with the green suit idea, I ended up giving my figure light green pants and then black shoes to accompany it. After one of my friends found a small toy cup, to help show the fact that my character is falling over, I used hot glue to make it look like coffee falling out a cup.

While the clothes didn’t look as clean as I wanted it to look, I used some green paint to fill in some empty spaces and considering I am not really talented at anything with fabric, I’m quite proud of how this turned out.

Wire – Taping and Covering

After getting a stand and using a stick to help hold my figure up, I began taping up the figure. My original idea was to wrap the whole thing in string but because it didn’t really glue properly I ended up using a Papier-mâché like substance called sculpta-mold.

Since the glue-paper mix dried fairly quickly, I learnt that after placing the wet substance, I had to smooth it with clean hands as soon as possible. At first I felt that it made my sculpture look too chunky, but then I found that if I smoothed well enough, it no longer looked like that. My hope for my next classes is that after I finish covering up the tape, I will be able to add some sort of clothes and paint on a face as well.

Clay Magnet

A side project we have during our wire project is to create a fridge magnet using clay. With an idea to create the Pakistani flag, I started by creating small, thin piece of clay. After printing a flag the same size, I made markings to make sure my flag is completely accurate. Through this process I found that it was much easier to carve clay after it is somewhat dry.

After putting the piece in the kiln, I used acrylic to paint the flag its respective colors, and wiped clean an area on the back so I can superglue the actual magnet onto the clay.

Wire Human Figure


Our final project in 3D art this semester, a human figure made of wire, ended up being one of the hardest projects so far for me. Due to my lack of experience in the material, it was difficult for me to make shapes I wanted. My idea for the figure was a person falling over, so I had to make one of the legs off the ground and the arms flailing, both of which were a struggle to make.

After a long process of trial and error I found that I can shape the spirals best by twisting them over the clay knife handles, and with some help realized that using wire hooks secure the limbs together the best.

After I attached all the limbs and curved wire into hands, I took a large styrofoam ball and carved a small head shape I’m going to attach onto a neck. My plan from here is to use a wood platform and a stick so my figure has a base that will hold it up. For the covering, I will most likely use the powdery glue material Mr. Stav has provided. Another idea is that I might cover it with tape and then loop string/rope all over the figure for an interesting texture.

FINISHED summative cardboard

After some finishing touches and using string to hang my piece, I finally finished my cardboard negative space piece!

After a few quick weeks of working on cardboard, I’m quite happy with how it ended up, especially with the fact that this is my first ever piece with cardboard. There are a few elements which I really like about the artwork, but others I felt like I could’ve improved upon. I feel that I incorporated the string in the negative space really well, especially with how I made zig-zag rope on the sides, but a shoe lace design on the front and back. I also feel like the top and bottom bases give a really interesting look, as well as the cone-like rope structure to hang it. While I liked some parts of it, I wish I did some other things differently. If I used a cardboard piece which was brown on both sides rather than some design, I feel like it would look more unified. Also I think that the bases could have been made cleaner as some of the rolled up tubes are slightly uneven.

Overall, despite some mistakes and burns through the glue gun, I believe my first attempt at a cardboard negative space piece was a success and I am quite proud of it.